We just returned from the 14th annual Boyz Hike and what a doozy this was. I’ve been to Kauai a few times, but seeing the Island from an unspoiled and undeveloped perspective was truely amazing. The Northshore of Kauai (out past Hanalai Bay) is lush, varied, breathtaking, sunny and at time – steep :-). Kalalau Beach is one of the most beautiful places on the planet – it’s got to be. The group included Greg Latimer (organizer – thanks Greg!), Eric Plateau (in from Chicago), John Dossett (Portland), Will Shortt (Eugene), John Gerberding, Dave Dawson, Ralph Murray and Myself (Seattle). Highlights of the trip include:
- Direct flight to Lihue from Seattle – Fly Alaska Airlines!
- Dinner at Duke’s and Playing Pool at NaWiliWili Tavern.
- Snorkeling around Poipu.
- Hike around Waimea Canyon – Mark Twain called this the “Grand Canyon of the Pacific”. Stunning.
- Dave getting stuck with Urchin Needles Saturday Afternoon while having a sunset snorkel.
- 11 Mile Hike into Kalalau Beach and jumping into the surf and fresh water fall.
- Fresh water pool in Cave on beach.
- Beach volleyball and beach frisbee golf including Eric’s hole in one on the cave/water hole.
- Hiking up to Big Pool for swimming (killer day hike/trail!).
- Meeting local hippies.
- Big stars at night. With no ambient light, the stars were very bright and distinct.
- Getting rained on and not caring because we were covered and warm by the fire.
- Spending quality time with friends from cities both near and far.
Below are my photos from the trip. I can’t wait to see everyone else’s. Click on the photos for a bigger version of the slideshow.